Thursday, October 18, 2007

Asia’s Songbird soars high in Dubai






Waiting for time to take its toll

I came in the Dubai Tennis Stadium 4 o’clock noon and had time to grab something to munch at ChinaWhite and buy hotdogs and drinks for my friends. There were quite a number of fellow Filipinos in the area scattered within the vicinity chit chatting, drinking coffee and some plainly waiting for the gates to open.

Enter the BenQ posse

The security people came in BenQ shirts and were given instructions to keep all the people off the area. They literally went to every South East Asian looking people and asked if they’re watching the event and if you say “Yes”… lo and behold…you’re out of the area and will be mixed with people waiting outside in a queue. Good thing for moi I’ve managed to grab a seat from one of the restos and pretended to be ordering while other people are escorted outside.

When I saw that the BenQ posse leave my peripheral, I went to Costa Coffee and managed to be with a friend.

As the gates open wide

It was a breeze getting in and find a comfy seat 20 metes right in front of the stage while I see Regine rehearsing her songs. It was noticeable that she’s not in good condition for her voice was quite hoarse and I can see her sniffing from time to time. She was singing a medley of Barbra Streisand’s People, All I Ask of You and Somewhere. I borrowed a pair of telescope and saw Regine looking quite tired which made me nervous because she might do a Lauryn Hill (reminiscent of her act loosing her voice and eaten alive by the band).

A security personnel again bothered early birds bothered to leave the area for “security reasons” that they even don’t know at all when asked. So we kept our seats. And waited for the event.

Opening Act

UAE grown Filipino duo performed for 30 tedious minutes which bored the spectators singing 5 different genres of songs from pop, slow rock, country to Original Pilipino Music (OPM). I know variety sells but this front act is a disappointment.

The Queen of the night arrives

Raul Mitra the concert’s Musical Director (and brother-in-law), played on his keyboards Regine’s top hits Tuwing Umuulan, Pangako, On the Wings of Love, You are my Song and Narito Ako in preparation of Regine’s grand entrance. It’s like karaoke night in the Dubai Tennis stadium as each songs played were sung by the audience both young and old alike.

Then came the grand entrance. The roaring crowd welcomed Asia’s Songbird who wore a long gown with a velvet bodice with black skirt segueing Mr. Mitra’s medley and singing the last song. I was mesmerized to the fact that before I only see her on TV for her weekly noontime Sunday variety show and hearing Narito Ako was last heard on my newly revived Motorola phone which made smile because listening to her music is one of my guilty pleasures.
It was followed by her rendition of 2 OPM songs Ako’y iyong-iyo originally sung by his current beau Mr. Ogie Alcasid and Hinahanap Hanap kita by a hitmaker Filipino band Rivermaya.

Sitting there for me for an hour and a half is like having my meditation. The acoustic rendition of Sana Maulit Muli, Dadalhin Kita Sa Aking Palasyo and Ikaw together with guitarist Mr. Cesar Aguas was a crowd favorite where almost all the people sang together with the diva of the night.

She also did a rendition of the Carpenters singing Rainy days and Mondays, Superstar, For All We Know and I Wont Last a Day Without You. She did also some Barbra Streisand medley of People, The Way We Were, All I ask of You and Somewhere.

Regine left the stage which the crowd thought the night is done. But she surprised the crowd by coming back singing 80’s disco tunes of Gloria Gaynor’s I will survive and Donna Summer’s Last Dance. Lastly she sang Aerosmith’s I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing like a flying phoenix soaring and leaving us wanting to see more of her in the next years to come.

CAC Events sponsored the concert and will be producing other concerts for Lebanese artists Nancy Ajram and Paolo K this December and Michael Learns to Rock this coming February.

No comments: